Saturday, August 1, 2009

Introduction to Traing

After being showered with flowers and water amidst the indecipherable chants of monks (during the welcome ceremony) I met my host sister Tida (Da for short), in what may have been the single most awkward experience of my life. I might be exaggerating a little about that, but still...pretty awkward.

Most of the other volunteers had host parents to pick them up, eager to mother them as mothers do, but not me. I was greeted by my 21 year old host sister who was almost as uncomfortable as I was! The "what on earth am I doing here" thoughts definitely dominated for a little while. Now, however, I am finding daily reminders of why I am here and how blessed I am to have this experience.

I live with my sister Da and host mother (65) but extended family lives behind us and visit often. I have host neices and nephews as well as a host brother, all of whome speak a little english. This has certainly helped me with my Khmer. We live in a traditional wooden Kmer house one stilts with slat floors and an outdoor bathroom. THe bathroom has been the most difficult but I am getting used to it. It is true what they say...they really don't use toilet paper....and its been....fun... haha.

The food is awesome. Lots of rice and noodles and meat :) Veggies too but I can get away with eating fairly few. My host mom feeds me way too much. At dinner and lunch each day she repeatedly says "niam tran tran!" Eat MORE MORE! She tells me that I am slim (skome) and I need to eat more so I will be fat (taut) like my sister Da. Who isn't fat, for the record. Yesterday I ate frog for lunch which was about as adventurous as I have gotten. I have tried many new things, many of which I love. My favorite thing right now is to lay in the hamock after lunch drinking a coconut (that my mom chopped off a tree with a machette) and eating mangos. Not a bad life :)

Our days are spent in language class, meal times with family, and trainings at the school. They keep us very busy and I am already excited for when training is over and I can make my own routine.

Those of you who know me well will be surprised to know that I have been up by 6am or earlier and I am loving it. WHAT!? I am sure the months to come will have some lows and there will be times where I again question by dcision to be here, but I am confident that I am where I am supposed to be and have been, thus far, reminded daily.

6 comments:

  1. I am so happy and proud of you! You are one of a kind Meghan! I pray for you every day and know you will just do amazing things! Good luck! And most of all God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Meghan- it's so exciting to hear about your adventures. Do we need to send you toilet paper or are you getting by with leaves?
    Be safe and be well- we love you.
    A. Diane and Jenkel clan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Meghan!

    You are up at 6:30 am?! This is most assuredly defying the Olson genetic code. Yikes! What will happen next? Oh, I know, you may start to crave vegetables…

    I am really enjoying reading your very entertaining blog. And I am living vicariously through your food descriptions.

    I really admire and enjoy your good-natured and interesting journal writing.

    My thoughts and prayers are with you as you continue on this odyssey.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am also being "fattened up" by various people. It's pretty great. I'm jealous of your coconut experiences, and I'm glad that you're functioning, and even thriving!! Yay!

    ReplyDelete