Monday, July 27, 2009

A Few First Thoughts

After many hours of travel I arrived, alongside 45ish other volunteers, in Phnom Penh, Cambodia. Our first day here we spent a lot of time doing touristy type things; we went to lunch, visited the national museum, and took a cruise on a river boat for dinner with all of the peace corps training staff. The following morning we left Phnom Penh for Takeo, our training hub villiage. The night after we arrived a group of us went with some of the current K2 volunteers and some of our Khmer teachers to a concert. Apparantly some of the most famous musicians in Cambodia were performing. In the course of the evening a good chunk of our group turned back because the crowds were too overwhelming. They were a bit intense, but I was struck by how much I loved that atmosphere. As someone who hates crowds in the states, it seems a bit contradictory, but I suppose I'm in the right place.

Our days have been consumed by information sessions on everything from gender norms, peace corps policy, langauge, and health. I was probably the only person who was excited when we started talking about parasites and mosquito born illnesses. Our evenings have mostly been spent hanging out in the courtyard outside our guest house getting to know eachother and getting ready to separate into our own host families. That change will happen tomorrow and I am beyond nervous.

On a happy note, I learned how to use chopsticks to eat noodles for breakfast and I can now tell you my name, where I am from, and how I am feeling in Khmer. It's not much but it's a start.

2 comments:

  1. I had to laugh about your excitement over mosquito born illnesses and parasites. I had a feeling you'd enjoy that part! Can't wait to hear where you end up and see pictures! I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Upon your return, I expect all conversations as to your general feelings to be in Khmer.

    ReplyDelete