Saturday, October 24, 2009

Signs of adaptation:


This past Sunday I set off from the family restaurant close to 8:00am with the hope of figuring out how the parking system worked at the market and crossing my fingers that in making the trip I would figure out what time the church across the street started. It proved to be one of the better mornings I have had since arrival at permanent site. I wandered the market for a while chatting with some of the sellers and purchased a rather fantastic hair clip. It was in the shape of butterflies and flowers, but did not have glitter, and I felt that was an accomplishment. Eventually I wandered over to the church and. It was an interesting experience in general, all religious affiliations aside, but for me it was amazing how something still so foreign could feel so much like home. I was greeted very warmly and found myself at one point with a microphone at the front of the room talking about myself in Khmer. A little unnerving given how much I tend to detest such things! It was in a small one room building and began with worship songs sung from what looked like old hymnals led by the pastor followed by songs by different singing groups. One of these consisted of all the school aged children. The sermon followed and then various announcements and readings from other members of the congregation. Mom and Dad, I am sure if you are reading this you will note the uncanny resemblance this format has to 6th and Gibbs. I had the strangest feeling of being transplanted back in time 12-14 years except all of the people were Khmer and I couldn’t really understand anything! When it came right down to it this church reminded me uncannily of the church I attended with my family as a child (minus the gossiping old biddies…I think).

The fact that you can be a 22 year old female and legitimately be single is a confusing concept I am finding. Last week’s episode with my students indicated this, and this week a conversation with two primary school teachers confirmed it. In yet another discussion about my marital status with two unmarried women around my age I had a heck of a time explaining that I do not have a boyfriend in Cambodia OR in America. I explained that I used to have a boyfriend in America (or perhaps I have even had more than one in my life…) but do not have one now. To this they responded “so how old is your boyfriend in America?” When I finally got it across that I do not currently have a boyfriend anywhere in the world they proceeded to inquire: “so what will you do when a Khmer man falls in love with you? Will you love him back…?” I told them that no one is in love with me so it doesn’t matter. This answer was insufficient as supposedly “that is because you have only been here for 3 weeks, you will be here for 2 years and you are pretty so someone will love you.” I explained that it was important to me to have a husband who understands my beliefs and culture so most likely I would not love him back. To this I was told that I should wait until it happens, because maybe he will be very handsome and then I might love him. I am not used to having hypothetic conversations about my love life or to people being quite so interested in it.

So this last week I had a cough/sore throat; an ailment that seemed to be going around town. Unfortunately my 3 year old host niece caught it as well. I took a lot of airborn and many cough drops and it pretty much cleared up on its own. My host sister took her daughter to the doctor and came home with her hooked up to an IV. WHAT!? No my limited Khmer may not have been adequate to understanding the severity of the situation (however I am inclined to think it was not serious as yesterday she was on an IV and today she is breaking through my headphones with her high pitched little girl laughter) but I am pretty sure it was a cold. It seems like half the time people avoid seeking medical help and resort to things like coining and then when they do seek medical help it is over the top. Not sure though, purely speculation.

Some observations from the last several weeks...
You know are you are being desensitized when:
1) You see a hot monk. No lie, it happened this week and it was weird.
2) Tiny red ants invading your cereal do not deter you from eating it. In fact the chore of picking out the tiny red ants just makes the cereal last longer.
3) The knowledge of how many people will stare at you if you leave the house is no longer enough to keep you from leaving.
4) A rooster sticking its head in your window (on the second floor) in the morning is no longer alarming… it is simply time to get up.
5) Rats are only bothersome if they take your stuff or chew the crotch out of your underwear (shout out to Keiko).

You know you have not been completely desensitized if:
1) You still become irate when obnoxious music is blared from some non-descript location for hours on end (A problem perpetuated by the TV in your own home being turned up to an unearthly volume to compete with the music). Even though it happens every other day at least.
2) You have not yet learned to tune out chickens. I hate chickens now.
3) You are still grossed out by the smacking and slurping of food as well as relatively constant belching and spitting.
4) You still feel the impulse to yell “I AM NOT FRENCH I AM AMERICAN” every time someone yells “Barang” on the street (it is a term used for foreigners but actually means French).
5) You are still annoyed if you arrive when school starts and no one is there!

5 comments:

  1. Hi Honey,
    A hot monk huh? Well, that sounds...interesting. I think you should just start saying "oui" a lot and see if that throws everyone.
    OH, Grandpa Ron is upset with the Khmer people for comparing you to others. When Gma Joyce tried to explain to him that it is cultural and that they are taking very good care of you, he said, "I don't care, I don't like it. They should not compare my Meghan to anyone!" So...there! lol
    We love you Honey!
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahahaha! I think this is my favorite blog entry yet! Hot monks, red ants, rats, and roosters, I love it.
    Glad to hear that you're not completely desensitized yet though. Im pretty sure the smacking and slurping of food might stick with ya for a while :)
    Thats so cool you got to speak at the church a little bit in Khmer! I like that.
    And I hope you enjoy your new butterfly/flower hir clip thingy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I live in America and battle #4 more often tan you'd think. I guess I just hate France...

    Also, Jacob and I have both always found your hypothetical love-life to be highly entertaining :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Meghan!

    I see in your future many Cambodian matchmakers parading handsome young Cambodian relatives in front of you to see who has the handsomest specimen which will certainly make you succumb to love. Oh dear, maybe you need to invent a boyfriend out of sheer self protection!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Meg - I loved the ant and rooster stories! And the picture of the bug is priceless!

    ReplyDelete